Sunday, September 27, 2009

Shortbread Cookies

This afternoon while sewing, my sweet tooth kicked in so I decided to make some cookies. I made these for friends and family last year and put them in little decorative bags with ribbon and they were a hit. So, I made them today minus the peppermint (because I didn't have any), and added in some cocoa. Ya know, for that chocolate fix too. Here is the original recipe for the Peppermint Candy Shortbread Cookies. If you want to make them chocolate like I did, add in 1 tablespoon of cocoa to the dough. These are delcious! Don't mind the different sized cookies, I had little helpers.

Peppermint Candy Shortbread Cookies

cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup peppermint candy, crushed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon of cocoa (optional)

frosting
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons peppermint candies, crushed

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 300°F
  2. Cream butter, sugar, crushed candy, and vanilla thoroughly using an electric mixer. Gradually blend in flour and cornstarch.
  3. Form dough into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Gently press down on each cookie to flatten, either using fingers or a flat-bottomed drinking glass that has been dipped in sugar to prevent sticking.
  4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bottoms begin to brown.
  5. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
  6. For frosting: combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix thoroughly until frosting is smooth. Drizzle cookies with frosting and sprinkle with crushed candy.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

10 Comments:

Victoria said...

Ooh, sounds tasty! I usually put almond flavour in my shortbread cookies, but I think I will try mint next time...

SmileyMoo said...

These sound great!

Splendid Little Stars said...

YUM! I love the idea of putting them in decorative bags!

Erika said...

Thank you! My Mom loves shortbread so what a great surprise.

BeadedTail said...

Shortbread and chocolate? Sounds like the perfect cookie! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Memories for Life said...

YUM! Love the cocoa added!

Anonymous said...

OMG...to die for!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Those look nummy!

Jordan said...

Glad everyone likes the recipe. I think I might start doing a recipe once a week so look for that soon!

Jordan

Kathleen said...

mmmmmmmmm! These look so good!