Thursday, October 8, 2009

Recipe Thursday: Homemade Marshmallows

So I've been a little slack (errrr a lot slack) about blogging this week. But I have an excuse, really, I do. Monday was my birthday. And I have to tell you, my mom got me the most awesome cake. A sewing themed cake! It was a round cake, pink with brown polka dots and it had my name on it. Then, there were various sewing notions on it. Scissors, spool of thread, buttons, needle threader, etc. I took some pics but they were with my moms camera so I'll have to share later. On to the recipe...

I have to say this one is fabulous. And I made this one last night myself. My very first time making homemade marshmallows and they turned out delish! I have some awesome ideas for when I do them next time. This time, I did some plain, some dusted in cocoa, and some in cinnamon. I think the cocoa was my favorite. I LOVE me some chocolate. So on with the recipe. I found it through a google search here.

Homemade Marshmallows Recipe

1 day | 1 hour prep

40 marshmallows

  1. Combine gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment.
  2. Let it stand 30 minutes.
  3. Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup of water in a small heavy saucepan; place over low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved.
  4. Wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals.
  5. Clip on candy thermometer; raise heat to high.
  6. Cook syrup without stirring until it reaches 244° (firm ball stage).
  7. Immediately remove pan from heat.
  8. With mixer on low speed, slowly and carefully pour syrup into the softened gelatin.
  9. Increase speed to high; beat until mixture is very thick and white and has almost tripled in volume, about 15 minutes.
  10. Add vanilla; beat to incorporate.
  11. Generously dust an 8x12 inch glass baking pan with confectioners' sugar.
  12. Pour marshmallow mixture into pan.
  13. Dust with confectioners' sugar; let stand over night uncovered, to dry out.
Now, since I made this, I'll share some tips:
  • You don't have to have a stand up electric mixer, but be prepared for your hand to almost fall off from vibration if you don't. Mine almost did.
  • If you don't have that pastry brush, don't sweat it. Fine turned out fine without doing that step.
  • You really will have to beat the mixture for 15 minutes. See above.
  • Spray your glass pan with PAM first, and then dust with the sugar. Makes things easier when taking them out.
  • I didn't let mine sit overnight, only about an hour and I was able to cut them. I did let them sit out after cutting though. I'm impatient.
  • You can substitute the vanilla extract for peppermint or almond.
  • Dip your marshmallows in melted chocolate
The possibilities are endless here. Hope you have fun with it!

PS: I took pictures and my camera seems to have ate them. I know I took them and they are no where to be found on my camera. Grrrrrr.

3 Comments:

Anitra Cameron said...

What an interesting thing to make! I am going to Have to try them.

storybeader said...

happy belated birthday! didn't know you could make marshmallows - don't know where I thought they came from... {:-Deb

Judy Nolan said...

How fun! I don't think I've ever heard of homemade marshmallows before.